Tuesday, March 22, 2011

This is How We Do It...

This picture cracks me up. It's not that great of a shot - just a few Mt. Airy high school kids at a little kickball tourney we hosted a few weeks ago. Look a little closer though, and you will see a little girl clad in a pink hoodie and striped sweatpants in the background, and if you could "hear" this picture you would hear the word "ball" pronounced by Harper as a Surry County native as "bawwwlll."

If you have ever read this blog or received one of our christmas letters then you have heard us talk about how we just do what we have to do to "make it work" when it comes to juggling full-time Young Life ministry and full-time parenting and part-time other stuff. Eric says to me at least 5 times a week "we'll make it work." I haven't yet decided if he's saying this to convince me we can do it all or to convince himself, but either way, I believe him and we press on and end up with images that look like this one. Both of us are trying to be present in the lives of these high school kids and so we tote our toddler along with us. The rest of the story is she and I left at halfway into the game because she needed to go to bed and I let her feed herself a piece of pizza in the car on the way home giving new meaning to the phrase pepperoni face. But hey, we are making it work and this is how we do it...please press play on your throwback playlist of Montell Jordan..."Ever since I was a lower-case G, but now I'm a big G, the girls see I got the money, hundred dollar bills ya'll."

And ya'll, we have so many precious people in this town who help us make it work - dear friends who are in our corner and love our child and want us to make it work. Grateful for that. I also know we are not alone in this. I am sure that everyone who juggles more than themselves has to "make it work" in some sense. We do what we have to do say YES to God's calling on our lives, to grow our home into what we always hoped it would be, and to, well, make it work.

So for all you out there who feel like you have to do everything but stand on your head and sing yankee doodle in order to pull off your life, I get it, I feel ya, and press on. Our striving is never in vain!
Right Montell?

2 comments:

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3cjgEw-ANw

    Also, since you are fellow Bravo TV enthusiast, I expect when you say "make it work" it is done in the Tim Gunn/Project Runaway tone.

    Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could hear you rap that line...

    ReplyDelete